Although taxes and their rates will differ from area to area, SuperSalon enables users to configure them to their specific needs. This topic will provide an overview on each tax setting in the Software Settings, and will give instructions on how to create new taxes and tax exemptions.
Tax Settings Breakdown
Shown on the right is the area of SuperSalon where taxes are configured and added to the system. This interface is located in Setup > Software Settings > Sales > Taxes, and can be broken down as follows:
- Enable Inclusive VAT System: This setting, when activated with a green check, will allow SuperSalon to process Value Added Tax rates.
- Tax Rounding should occur at: This setting gives users the option of having their taxes rounded at a line item or subtotal rate.
- Combine Taxes on Receipt: When enabled with a green check, this setting will allow receipts to display all taxes as a single value.
- Allow Replacement Tax: This yes/no setting, when enabled, will allow users to create taxes exemptions, as shown in the instructions below.
- Include Tax Rate #1 in subtotal: For this option to be effective it must apply to the same type of sales as Tax Rate #1 or be set to apply to all sale items.
- Enable Manitoba Tax Laws: When activated with a green check, SuperSalon will allow users to process specialized tax rates for the Canadian province of Manitoba.
- Select Manitoba Tax: If the above setting is activated with a green check, users will be given the option of which Manitoba tax to use for the POS.
- Enable Manitoba Tax at: This text field will contain the numeric value of the tax threshold.
- Current Taxes: This lower array contains all of the existing tax rates, and gives users the ability to create a new one by clicking on the "Add Tax" button.
Adding a New Tax to SuperSalon
- From the Taxes section of the Software Settings, click or tap on the "Add Tax" button.
- Enter a name for the new tax, using the text field shown.
- Using the text field, enter a unique code for this new tax that will be recognized by SuperSalon.
- The final text field is where the numeric percentage rate is to be entered, as shown.
- Click or tap on the "Choose Global Effect of Tax" button.
- The pop up shown will give the user the ability to select which aspect of the business will be taxed, with the following choices:
- All Products
- All Services
- All Gift Certificates
- All Tuitions
- When the correct choice is selected for the tax, click or tap on the "0K" button in the lower right of the pop up, as shown.
- Review that all is correct, then click or tap on the "Ok" button to save the new tax into SuperSalon.
Adding a Tax Exemption or Replacement Tax
- From the Taxes section of the Software Settings, make sure the "Allow Replacement Tax:" setting is activated with a green checkmark.
- Click or tap on the "Add Tax" button in the lower array.
- Enter all the pertinent information for this new tax, this example will be a tax exemption, therefore we are putting all zeros in the "Rate" text field.
- Click or tap on the "Replacement Tax:" button so that a green checkmark is displayed, indicating that it is either a replacement tax or an exemption.
- Review that all is correct, then click or tap on the "Ok" button.
- The image below shows the new exemption tax underneath the Current Taxes header. For detailed information on how to process a sale with this exemption, please refer to this topic.